The Differences Between Squeegee Rubber Types
When it comes to squeegee rubbers for scrubber dryers, there are traditionally four different types available, each with their own unique characteristics to suit different applications.
Type 1: Gum rubber squeegee blades
Gum rubber is a man-made synthetic rubber that is typically beige or tan. Gum rubber squeegees offer maximum water collection on indoor floors that are smooth and even. They're not recommended for use in oily environments as gum rubber absorbs oil, which changes the shape of the blade and dramatically reduces its effectiveness. Gum Rubber squeegees will wear faster than any of the other types of squeegee blades but are usually the least expensive.
- Single purpose: effective on smooth, even floors with light traffic
- Inexpensive: made with a combination of natural material and fillers
Type 2: Linatex squeegee blades
Linatex squeegee blades are the all-around best performing and longest lasting squeegee blade. Linatex works well with chemicals and won't swell like gum rubber, plus it has excellent flexibility for better durability and pickup. These blades would be the best choice in applications where the floor is not smooth.
- Multi-purpose: provides consistent performance, excellent floor conformance and superior results on a broad range of conditions
- High performing: long-lasting material, delivering superior performance in wet abrasion applications
Type 3: Urethane/polyurethane squeegee blades
Urethane/polyurethane squeegees blades are the best option for oily or rough surfaces. They're ideal for workshops, commercial kitchens – anywhere where there's a high oil content, and very rough non-slip surfaces. Urethane squeegee blades are easy to identify by their typically opaque colour (often blue or white) and are usually more expensive.
- Oil and chemical resistant: maintain structural integrity in oily environments.
- Rough floor resistant: long wear life on rough and uneven surfaces.
Type 4: Primothane squeegee blades
Primothane squeegee rubbers are the newest premium urethane squeegee material that delivers outstanding performance in flexibility, tear and abrasion resistance. When it comes to oils, chemicals and cold environments, Primothane keeps its shape where most rubber will warp. It's the most expensive rubber option.
- Oil, chemical, and cold environment resistant: maintains structural integrity in oily environments.
- Flexible: excellent floor conformance and superior results on a broad range of conditions.
Airoflex Squeegee Rubber – the new kid on the block!
Airoflex is a new patent-pending design change to the water channels on the front squeegee blade to increase suction and water pickup. Traditional squeegee blades use a U-Channel design which lose suction on uneven floors leaving more water on the floor.
|• Fails to adjust to surface changes||• Adjusts to surface changes|
|• Loses contact with the floor||• Maintains contact with the floor|
|• Decreases vacuum performance||• Maintains optimal vacuum performance|
|• Increases water left on the floor||• Decreases water left on the floor by up to 50%|